Adroitent has a lot of experience in executing large enterprise application on Agile, especially in distributed and extremely distributed environments.
Based on our experience, we have identified a list of best practices that will help implementing Agile in distributed environments.
- When a distributed team is first formed, organize a fun team-building event or training session (if the team is new to Agile). Try to bring the full team, or at least as many people as possible, to a single location.
- Use electronic community to encourage maximum collaboration.
- High network bandwidth to allow video conferencing or desktop sharing
- Ability to record and share all discussions (video and conference calls) easily
- Digital camera to capture and share whiteboard discussions
- Access to collaboration tools such as instant messaging, Skype, Google+, etc.
- Access to Agile project management tools such as Rally, Version One, Mingle, etc., to help with managing electronic task boards, easy task status updates, and quick reporting
- Access to online live discussion forum-type tools where real-time exchange of dialogue is easy to post, view, and edit